Sunday, October 13, 2013

Fifi in the (Second) City: Thrifting and Pizza





This weekend Mom and I did all the unpacking and most of the settling in.

I was hoping to show her a little bit of the city, but she (being the domestic goddess that she is) wanted to make my apartment homey and clean (so fresh and so clean clean).  So, we only made it around probably 15 blocks of my new neighborhood.

Which Mom was ok with. And I was ok with, too, really.

But Mom insisted on finding the nearest thrift store. And I insisted on finding her a slice of Chicago style pizza.

Some classic Fifi observations of (the 15 residential blocks of) Chicago that she witnessed this weekend:


  • On stuffed pizza: This pizza is, oh my gosh, amazing. I’ve never had anything like this before. This crust, it’s like, like something I recognize.. like quiche or bread.  Oh, but this sauce is what makes this pizza.  (She is basically a food (non)critic.)
  • On my LGBT friendly neighborhood: There seem to be a lot of gay men around.  But they aren’t like, fabulous-gay. (I don’t know what that means, exactly.)
  • On my commenting that she shouldn’t smile and say how-do-you-do because we aren’t in the South, this is Chicago: They may need a Southern smile. (They might..)
  • On my saying that she definitely shouldn’t call out of our truck to tell that one lady how well she parallel parked, because we aren’t in the South, this is Chicago: Amber, they don’t know me here. They need to know Fifi. (They do. True story.)
  • On the 15 blocks of Saturday residential style: This city does seem a little… backward, I mean the hairstyles and clothes… I guess, I am just used to Atlanta trendiness. (Because the South is a trendsetter? Because Fifi is so Southern chic? And because she is so into Atlanta and style???)
  • On the thrift store: (Glowing and hopping from section to section) Oh, I’m so happy, I love this place.

She ended up insisting on getting me a couch and making me refuse a weird shelf and lamp.  She is one-of-a-kind. And generous. And awesome. I miss this lady already.

But, you know, she prepared me for this: just smile, say what you need to, and emit love. Go, follow life and do what you love.

Thanks, Mom. Zoe and I will do just fine.


1 comment: