Thursday, May 22, 2014

Repost: 16 things I will miss about India

Wow, it's been nearly a year since I moved back from India. I can not believe that.  Turns out, I do miss these things about India... and the friends I met there... and my India mom jeans... and so much more.

Bare with me as I reminisce.

16 days until Home.

Green oranges from the street vendors



I will certainly miss all of the food, the friends that have been my family and support system this year, and finding simple victories in a world where nothing makes sense. 

I am sure I will also miss things that I can’t fathom missing at this moment (like the noise and all those things that don’t make sense), but for now here are the other things I know I will miss about India:


Animals everywhere
  1. Old ladies talking to me endlessly, regardless of the fact that I don’t speak Telegu
  2. Veg Manchurian.. this is a supreme guilty pleasure
  3. The smell of frying peppers
  4. “Excusememadamfromwhichcountry?” – all one word from street strangers
  5. “Hello, sista! How are you?” - from the girls in the neighborhood
  6. Children laughing uncontrollably if I smile at them
  7. Monkeys - *jazz hands* - (and pigs and goats and cows and buffalo)
  8. Being blissfully surprised when the street stall has masala chai
  9. MANGOS
  10. Colors and celebrations, constant
  11. Buying veggies from Naveen
  12. Buying fruit on the roadside (now that I know what things cost!)
  13. Finger bowls (they are like a little post-dinner hand spa – but in India they are never this fancy.  Who snobbed up the finger bowl?)
  14. Limca – I don’t always drink soda, but when I do I prefer Limca.
  15. Ridiculous English mistakes
  16. And yes, maybe even Kingfisher.. (maybe not.)

My favorite English mistake
Also, 5 things I KNOW I will never miss:

  1. The garbage
  2. The pigeons
  3. The men gawking
  4. Being required to cover my legs
  5. The vast inequalities

    Home Sweet Home
    Celebrations

No comments:

Post a Comment