Monday, August 20, 2012

Mom Jeans, Indian-style


One of the best parts of living in India is that dressing for comfort is practically mandated.  This means leggings are an almost daily part of my wardrobe.

The funniest part of the Indian wardrobe, and the leggings in particular, is that they are draw-stringed and tie far above the belly button – you know, like Mom Jeans.  (Please see the fashion show below.)





(Ok, those last few were taken in a dressing room.  I did not purchase the jean dress with the zipper that zips awkwardly askew nor the jeggings with the elastic waist band - although I was unbelievably tempted to do so.  I did purchase jeggings with a button and zipper in this outing though - don't worry.)


Actually, don't look too closely at these pictures - awkward! Oh the things I will do for this blog..


You should also know that my roommates call me Mom.

Maybe it’s because I encourage them not to pet - and certainly not to bring home! - the adorable little street dogs.. even though I would love to do so myself.  (Don’t tell the kids.) I’ve been heard saying things like, “Dogs are not just cute, fun animals that make you smile.  They are also a lot of hard work.”  (Verbatim.)

Or maybe it’s because when we are riding 4 in a rickshaw, I hold onto the person sitting on the railing as if she were my own child who might fall out of the vehicle.  Or maybe it’s because Kamrin taught me how to use technology the other night.  Or maybe it’s because I make sure we are all doing things like bringing a scarf to cover ourselves as necessary.  Or maybe it’s because I leave them notes like this:


Somebody has to do it.

So they call me Mom.  Whatever, I like it.  And I have the pants to make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment