Saturday, August 4, 2012

A new normal


On Monday, I put on makeup – like eye shadow and lipstick even.  This was a futile exercise.  It probably melted completely off by midday.  But that’s not the point.  The point is, I woke up, put on real clothes, applied makeup, and did some work.  Later in the evening, I went to a house party in Banjara Hills with the other fellows.  It was a normal day.

This is my life.  I needed to start getting into a daily routine that includes things like putting on makeup and making coffee.  Even if the makeup will slide off and the coffee is instant. 

I stepped out on the balcony after putting water on for coffee.  I finally began to see the beauty of our city – beyond the lake and temples and statues.  There was a man in his mid-forties with a pot belly who was walking laps on his rooftop a few buildings over.  I noticed the many pastels of the buildings, draped with laundry flowing in the breeze.  These ever present clouds don’t seem to block the sun too much and give a coolness to the air.  The cars on the highway were less menacing than they were the day before. 

Perhaps my perspective shifted.

This isn’t just an adventure.  Ok, it is completely an adventure, but only insomuch as life itself is an adventure.  I need to start treating it that way. 

There are new things; there are challenges; there are disappointments.  This is life.  And I put on makeup on Monday to remind myself of that.  The rest of the week was not necessarily as successful as this moment, but it’s a start.  

(And I did yoga for the first time this week too!)

P.S. I do miss real, brewed-from-grounds coffee terribly.  Sigh.  

No comments:

Post a Comment