Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Call to prayer


The power went out late last night, so before going to sleep I left my window open for some airflow.  The open window let in the pre-dawn sounds and I awoke this morning to the call to prayer.  The first week or two I woke to this sound every morning, before my ears adjusted to all the noises that resound outside our walls. 

With the call to prayer this morning I was reminded, in my mid-dream-state, of Mom’s request prior to my departure: ‘Pray every morning.  I want your angels surrounding you.’  I thought of my angels.  I thought of all the reasons, all the influences that led me here. 

Perhaps these beckons to prayer come from different places and mean different things, but the idea that we need something more than ourselves remains similar.  Be it a deity, a network of support, a guiding principle, a raison d’etre – something more than ourselves drives us. And sometimes we have to go looking for it, asking for it, praying for it. (Perhaps driving past The Buddha in the Lake every day or so is having a zen-ish effect.)



Don’t worry Mom, my angels are with me. 

But I do miss this little angel in particular: 

KM on U.S. Independence Day.

(Rae, Skype this weekend?)
 
But these little ones celebrating Indian Independence day were awfully cute:


Maybe more on Independence Day later.

No comments:

Post a Comment