Monday, June 9, 2014

The Festy City

This weekend there were five significant festivals going on in town. We went to three of them.

Lit fest on Printers Row:


Four blocks of books--new, used, and locally authored--resulted in my next commute read. We Band of Angels is the true story of Army and Navy nurses who were bombed, set up a field hospital in the jungle, and were imprisoned for three years in Japan during WWII. I'm already hooked.

Midsommarfest in Andersonville:


Photos need only tell the tale--

Bogey joined us for the festivities

Meet the Windy City Cowboys

They are a-mazing.

Ribfest in Lincoln Square:

 


A vegetarian, a gluten-free-ian, and an omnivore go to a fest.

I've always thought of New Orleans as the festival town... and I hate to say anything even close to less than all-positive about that fair, beautiful city... but with multiple festivals scheduled nearly every weekend all summer long, I think Chicago must be the City of Fests. The Festy City may be just as apt as the Windy City for a Chicago nickname.


I think the Snyder sisters had a good time too.




PS - I realized today that "festy" conjures the word "festering" to mind, which is probably the reason that there is no Festy City. Fine, we'll stick to the Windy City.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment