Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A Generic Brand Childhood Revealed

I love to cook. If we've met for any short amount of time, you know that. For a long time, I attributed my love of cooking to three things: spending time with my mom and aunt in the kitchen, my love of food (read: being a fat kid at heart), and the joy of playing with my wooden kitchen set and Easy Bake Oven as a child...

This is what I thought until this weekend.

During this weekend's thunderstorms, I took a stroll down memory lane looking at old pictures. In doing so, I came across a photo I've seen a hundred times-- the one of me and my Easy Bake Oven on a Christmas morning 20-odd years ago. But this time I noticed something I hadn't before. The toy in hand was not, in fact, an "Easy Bake Oven". It was... a... "Watch It Bake Oven".



What the hell. I mean, really, what does a "Watch It Bake Oven" even mean? And especially when you compare it to the "Easy Bake," the message of the "Watch It Bake" is clear: it's not going be simple, kid, and we're going to make you watch every long minute while the paste you beat turns into diabetes-laced cardboard. Check out this sorry excuse for an ad, y'all:



Even those lyrics are taunting: "My oven lets me see cake baking... no other oven let's me peek right through." Torture.


I'm assuming that the "Watch It Bake" was probably the budget-friendly version of the toy. And I guess that's fine; I truly loved it nonetheless. But even so, it's hard not to feel a little gypped when the Easy bake made it into the toy Hall of Fame. (Maybe that award is credited to  this 10-minute propaganda piece.)

Whatever the case, though, I do love to cook. And the wooden kitchen set my parents gave to me was passed on to each of my nieces, which is very special. And look how happy I was with that off-brand, light bulb baking machine.


(And, ok, 3-minute ice cream? What, dear God, is that ice cream mix made of??)

No comments:

Post a Comment