Monday, January 20, 2014

Fifi phone home

The big move happened this weekend. Fifi and David trekked up to bring a truck and help shift Hannah and I about ten blocks south - ten blocks that felt like the strain of about a 100 lbs of couch, bench pressed up three flights of stairs, plus the rest of the furniture and boxes. Thanks Fifi and David for your help!!

We found a little bit of time to show the fam around town a bit, too:

Fifi plays "E.T." with the "Bean"

   
My Southern family was amazed by the crystal-y snow that fell while we moved on Saturday.. and were frozen as we walked blocks on blocks downtown yesterday. When I told Fifi we'd be taking the train to get around, her response was, "All four of us??" Yes, Fifi, all four of us will in fact fit on mass transit...

It was such a fun and lovely visit.

But the most exciting part of the Fifi-David visit, they introduced a new resident to Chicago. Everyone meet possibly the calmest, cuddliest new Chicagoan:
Name: Bogey. Likes: food and snuggles. Fears: the CAT.. and most things.

Side note: I had a moment of "whoa" today when I called my parents' land line from my cell phone. I dialed "Home" on my contacts and realized that I should probably change that name to "Mom and Dad's".

The feeling that Home is the place that I live now is a new feeling for me. Home is no longer a place that I leave and visit from time to time; it's a place that I go to each day. It is a place where I feel I belong and fit. It is where my life revolves. This is new, a little unsettling, but kind of shockingly wonderful.

My parents' home is where my roots are, a place that is a part of why I am who I am. But Chicago, and my new apartment, and all the components of my daily life.. I'm home.

(Don't worry guys, I'll be back to snark and sarcasm tomorrow, probs.. sentimentality is fleeting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment