Tuesday, December 31, 2013

On this whole resolution thing..


We all make resolutions and/or goals this time of year. Something that we do not do quite as often is to evaluate how well we did. We rarely measure our performance based on the resolutions we make for ourselves.

I don't talk about my job a lot in this blog (because I am pretty rigorous about keeping work and non-work separate things), but evaluation is a significant part of what I do. And, it's a part that I really value.

That being said, I'm a big nerd about it.

So instead of diving right into the future, here is a round-up of how I did last year. You may remember that I dismissed the usual, self-deprecating resolutions that we all make (knowing that we can't keep them) in favor of more reasonable goals.

They could have been formed a little bit better, but here's how I fared given the proposed goals.


Successfully do a downward dog-chaturanga transition. (And then keep doing them.)
Get a job that doesn’t require me to bring my personal laptop to work.
Learn 5 new cooking skills.(How to make pralines, dosa, daal (like a pro), flambee bananas, and soda bread)
Go camping. ..-ish (I spent time in the woods overnight.)
Listen to French lessons once a week. (And maybe start learning Spanish.)



A couple of goals that depend on my getting a real job that pays a living wage:

Get a dog. (COMING SOON!!!)
Go to South America. (If said job is in the Western Hemisphere) 


Mastering down-dog

If you were keeping count, that's 4 out of 5 achieved of the main goals. So, that's 80% attained central attainable goals for 2013. 

Since I didn't begin until February and I did get a job in the Western Hemisphere, I will include the dependent goals and my commitment to adopt Bogey in January. 

Therefore, that is a 71% completion rate for my goals for 2013.

That's not great.

Taking lessons learned from last year and rolling over the goals yet to be achieved, here are my reasonable, attainable goals for 2014: 
  • Listen to French lessons once a week (And maybe start learning Spanish)
  • Go to South America for at least 3 days
  • Take Bogey to a dog park once a week
  • Successfully make mayonnaise, buerre blanc, and English muffins at least once
  • Do crossword puzzles 2 times per week 
  • Successfully hold crow pose for 10 seconds
  • Write real letters to 3 people each month
Here's to 2014. www.yogatrail.com
Next year, I resolve to assess my goals monthly, adjust them as necessary, and plan accordingly. I may or may not create a spreadsheet to track these goals...  there might need to be intermediate results and outcomes added to achieve a better completion rate. 

Also, please note that this year's goals are SMARTer. (More Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound.)

Nerd problems are there.

Happy New Year, y'all! Be safe, warm, and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment