Wednesday, February 6, 2013

It happened one night.



Within a span of two hours this evening:

I scrambled off the bus with my laptop bag and groceries as it began moving when I was barely on the bottom step.  I crossed through heavy traffic heading to my apartment.

Two men on a motorbike called out to me and made kissing noises as they passed by.  I glared at them using my worst possible face as they slowed to a stop ahead of me on the busy street, looking back at me.  As I approached them I waved my arm and yelled out, “Get out of here! And don’t talk to me!” They sped off.

At home, I grabbed our gas canister – I told you about this thing, right? – and headed back out to get it refilled.  As I waited for the gas man to check the new tank for gas leaks by lighting a match near the valve, I took closer notice of the raucous over my shoulder. 

A passel of men were standing in the bed of a truck, and five or six on the ground.  People were yelling – I knew they were yelling because the gas man glanced in their direction as well (sometimes it’s hard to tell if people are yelling or simply speaking emphatically).  I kept a careful eye and asked the gas man if everything was alright.  He said, “ok, ok,” but I still am not convinced.

Walking back toward Naveen’s vegetable stand, gas canister in hand, another man on a motorbike asked if I needed help carrying it.  “No. I am fine, thanks,” I replied without looking him in the eye, making sure not to smile.

Vegetables bought, I arrived home to my quiet apartment to cook dinner.

Yes, my quiet apartment.  Remember when I thought this place was little respite from the cacophony of India?  That was over seven months ago.

Time marches on.  This evening was not stressful or abnormal. It simply happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment