Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Even more questions that need answers




This is my 'what is going on' face.
Some days I just want to understand everything that happens in my 16-waking-hours.  Just for one day.   

If you have experienced a day like this recently, you have probably taken that for granted.  I envy you that.


This brings me to "Even more questions..." Things I haven’t understood lately:
  • What is soooo interesting about my appearance? (Really, don’t I look human to you, and not like some alien life form sent to Hyderabad to entertain earthlings?)
  • Similarly, what do strangers do with pictures they take of me?
  • Moreover, why is talking to me hilarious? (Children and shop girls often giggle when I talk to them.)
  • Why won't Indian travel and entertainment websites accept international debit/credit card payments?
  • Why is it ok to throw bags of trash into the lake?
  • How can so many things that are not true be scientifically proven?
  • Why did the woman with the baby move to the doorway of the half empty bus with no intention of getting off at that stop, making me push around her to get off?
  • Why, when I ask for clarification or explanation, do people simply repeat exactly what they just said, as if repetition is the same as clarification?  (I blame the rote learning.)
  • SO MUCH ELSE, EVERY DAY.

This is my 'fine, India, whatever' face
At this point there are also things, once normal and mundane, that now puzzle me:

A couple of weeks ago I went out to dinner with friends.  Upon leaving the restaurant, a member of the wait staff said, “Thank you. Have a nice day.”



The response in my head was one of shock, “What just happened? What did he just say?”  Followed by the irrational thought, “He only said that because we are American, didn’t he?  Is he mocking us?  Why doesn’t he just treat us the same as he does everyone else?”

India has done strange things to me.

 Like making me think putting our friend in a cannon is a fun idea..
Don't understand what is going on here? I do.

I hope that you enjoy your probably predictable, normal, everyday day.  Cherish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment