Sunday, November 25, 2012

How to do Thanksgiving in India



My family most certainly knows the kind of obsessive Thanksgiving control freak that I turn into beginning around midnight on Halloween. 

Turkey carving
Generally, the story goes: spend about 2 months looking at recipes and watching cooking shows; send out the email invite/request for potluck items about 3 weeks ahead of the holiday; create a menu and grocery list about 2 weeks prior; buy the turkey in time for it to thaw in the refrigerator; finish grocery shopping at Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, and Kroger; and finally cooking and baking for 3 days before the entire family comes to my parents’ house for feasting and fellowship.

It’s a process. And I love it.  It is the best part of the year, no questions asked.  Cooking, productivity, organizing people, family, wine, cornbread dressing, pie – ..these are a few of my favorite things..

Alas, you may wonder how I was surviving in India, without a family to boss around, without an oven, without a tv for obsessive recipe refining.  I admit; it was tough for a few weeks.

BUT then, the Sunday before Thanksgiving a couple of dear fellows said to me, “Would you want to help coordinate Thanksgiving so we don’t have to go to a restaurant? Can we do it at your apartment?”
Football watching


(Be still my heart. All is well with my soul.  Oh so thankful!)  I replied, “Yes, of course, I’d love to.”

And then, I organized and cooked and was productive.  And it felt like family: lots of noise and helpfulness and debates and laughter. And there was wine. And the boys put on some football. It was generally accepted as a success.

So what am I thankful for this year:

  • My family at home that puts up with my bossy holiday organizing every year. And who Skyped in twice for Thanksgiving.  And who are super supportive of me, always.
  • My new small community here in Hyderabad that facilitated my obsessive tradition making this year.  And who roamed around the city shopping and baking for a week, which are great feats in this town with limited North American ingredients and ovens.  And who keep me sane on a daily basis in moments of questionable mental health.
  • My friends that sent sweet virtual messages from so far away. And who manage to make me smile every time I hear from them these days (and always).
  • And for the small miracle that is pumpkin pie, turkey, and cornbread dressing in India.

I hope you each enjoyed the holiday with an equal amount of gratitude as I did.


The Feast
Also, if you have never tried to explain Thanksgiving to someone who is not American, I wholeheartedly invite you to try.  It is fascinating and really makes you reflect on the holiday’s meaning… which is obviously the feast. 

(Ok, or maybe, it’s a time to share your blessings with those around you that you are grateful for each and every day of the year.)

No comments:

Post a Comment