Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Diwali: Festival of Lights?



Yesterday was Diwali. Diwali is known as the Festival of Lights…

Of Lights? Or of Sound?

It really should be the Festival of Sound.  In efforts to fill the city with lights, everyone sets off firecrackers. And I do mean everyone – children of very young ages included. 

Diwali is the scariest festival of them all. 

The firecrackering has been going on for days.  What the drums were for Ganesh Chaturthi, the firecrackers are for Diwali.  There are loads of loud, dangerous, explosive fire-toys being set off by children, men of all ages, and mothers helping the smallest of kids to swirl sparklers.  (The older children are mostly unaccompanied –eek!) 

I’m pretty sure on my way home from work today a couple of children almost blew me up.  They were yelling and gesturing at me to move faster and pointing at the ground.  I moved faster and did not look back.  This holiday is giving me an ulcer.  I jump every time I hear a ‘pop’ ‘bang’ ‘boom!’  And they are constant.  <Enter an introverted-chocoholic-who-likes-her-personal-space overwhelmed in India moment! here>

Actually, it was a lovely holiday. (Scary, but lovely.)  I spent yesterday with Hannah and her school owner’s family.  It was so nice to be around a family.  They force fed us lots of delicious food for lunch, invited us to participate in the prayer ceremony, and fed us more.  Lots of talk and eating – everything a good family holiday should be.

In the evening, we went to our friend’s house to celebrate with IDEXers – lamps and drinks and fireworks.  Good times. (Except for the darn ‘fireworks’ which are actually only small bombs – loud, dangerous, smoky!)

The entire city is still a lit with sparkling lights.  Smoke settles in the streets. Gunfire-sounds fill the air now as I head to bed.  Festival of Lights.















(I vote for a change in the name of the festival, and for safer fireworks.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment