Thursday, December 20, 2012

How to do the holidays in India

So, last week, a friend sent an email asking how I was enjoying the holiday season.  I'm pretty sure she was only asking in passing, but this is the response that she got:

Drummer boys (constantly)
"Holiday season.. it's kind of always a holiday season here.  Diwali ended a few weeks ago.  Today is the last day of the wedding season.  There are lots of drums and (the cursed) fire crackers, always.  The drums are fantastic. 

BUT, the Christmas holiday season... is it happening?  I forget that it's December really.  I had the best of intentions of sending Christmas cards, but I still have my sister's birthday card in my bag right now.. Her birthday is tomorrow.  I've been listening to Christmas music from time to time and I put cinnamon in my coffee, but alas, no Christmas spirit.  It's too warm and there is no tree or decorations and I don't have an oven and there is no wine.  And my mother's been on a "I miss you so much" kick lately, which makes things tough.......  But I guess that's ok.  (Sorry for rambling.. are you sorry you asked??)

That being said, I am going to a Hanukkah party on Friday and a holiday dumpling party on Saturday before people disperse on Christmas travels.  So it will come.  It's just different here - like everything else.  And that is good."


(Bless her heart.)

The Hanukkah and Christmas Dumpling party definitely helped.  I've been filled with latkah and eggnog and, well, with dumplings. 

And Hannah made us some lovely garland that graces our kitchen door.  And we watched A Christmas Story.

Merry Christmas.
Happy Hanukkah.










It's beginning to feel a little like Christmas.  We do what we can.  Things are different here.  And that is good.  It's good to see Christmas without all the hype and the stress, actually.. but man, what I wouldn't give for a candy cane!

No comments:

Post a Comment