Thursday, December 13, 2012

A day of firsts



First village, first wedding, first saree, first true pang of missing my friends: 


On Sunday I woke up at 6 o’clock to get ready for a wedding.  Ok, I could only partially get ready.  I would be wearing a saree to this wedding; it’s the only wedding I’ve been to as a guest where I would require assistance getting dressed!

We left by 7:30 to go to the village – about 2 hours outside of Hyderabad.  Boulders and farmland and a tiger reserve (I suppress my giddiness, knowing that tigers are surely rare there) met us on our way.  

The wedding was that of my colleague’s best friend – a young IIT graduate.  Several of her classmates were joining to celebrate in the occasion.

When we arrived, I met the bride who was preparing for the pre-wedding pooja.  Dressed in bright colors and donning jewelry and flowers, she was absolutely the picture of beauty and grace.  Ever welcoming, she and her friends and family were gracious even as the household buzzed in last minute arrangements.  When the bride’s mother introduced herself to me, she so sincerely cupped her hand in mine and smiled so warmly to greet me. I was served a delicious breakfast.  
  
Then all of us young women dressed in our sarees.  It was a comfort that I was not the only person who needed help wrapping this fabric into a garment!  The ladies, who are all college friends of the bride, told me that it was the bride who always helped them to put on their sarees for festivities in college. 

I spun around once and suddenly I was ready.. Ok, ok. There was some pleating and some pinning and some tucking involved also.  But voila!, pretty quickly, pretty quickly I was transformed.  


  
After all were ready, there were pictures – “In India, we like to take pictures of everything,” I was told twice.  At weddings, of course there are lots of pictures!

Then there were ceremonies.  “Wherever the bride goes, just follow her.”  Pretty much the same as a Western wedding, no?  Except that at these ceremonies, children are free to come and go.  We watched, and awed at the bride, but none were too emotional nor serious except those doing pooja.  




 

This little guy was a highlight for me, dancing along with the drums and roaming as he pleased.  


And then, we arrived at the wedding hall.  And the marriage was performed.  So much symbolism and colors and life. The water cascade and the rice pouring were particularly beautiful.  
I was surprised that everyone was not as engaged as I.  


Water ceremony: beauty

Uncle in front row reading the paper

And then there was lunch.  And the couple received their guests – they stood for so long greeting everyone who was wishing them well!  It must be exhausting. 

And finally we took our leave.  We took off our sarees and came back to Hyderabad.  How was wearing a saree, you ask? Despite the pinning and tucking, I was pulling at the fabric all day for fear of coming disrobed – though I’m sure that that was near impossible.  Altogether, not bad.  I only sort of tripped once.

On the bus ride home, there was yelling and a sick child.  Welcome back to Hyderabad, indeed - spell broken.  I arrived home around 9 pm, exhausted.

Being with my friend and her dear college friends made me miss my own dear friends at home.  They were so fun and lively and comfortable.  My friends, can we please Skype soon!!!!

It was a lovely day.




No comments:

Post a Comment