Monday, July 9, 2012

Introduction to missing (Pre-departure)

The most common response from people in my inner circle when I tell them that I am going to India for a year is: “I’m happy for you, but I’ll miss you.”   

I’ll miss you too.  This is undoubtedly true.  But if I don’t go, I think I might be missing my life. 

There is so much that I intend to miss over the next 10 months - people, pets, holidays, and so on and so on.  But there is much, much, much that I intend to experience - things you are missing by not coming with me.. Are you sure you don't want to come with me?  It's ok, I understand.

Here, I will share all these things that we are missing - what I am missing being away and what you are missing being back home.  Much of this will come to you in list and photograph form. 

e.g.:

My initial thoughts on going to India:
  • Maybe I’ll finally take up yoga and find some inner peace.
  • Here’s to hoping that this little (not so little) pink computer lasts one more year.
  • I’ll have to learn to shop again…eek.  (I hate shopping.)
  • I’ll join the modern world and use Skype.
  • Try to meet up with the Bombay Laughter Club on Marine Drive, Mumbai.
  • It’s going to be hot.  Lots of sunscreen will be used.
  • It is highly probable that I won’t shave my legs for a year. 
  • Festivals!
  • I don’t know what I’m going to do about this hair. 
  • I don’t know how to pronounce anything.  (Damn French.)
  • OOOO, a sunset at Taramati Baradari.  Nothing quite gets to me like a good sunset.
  • Apparently, decent cheap wine and chocolate are hard to find in India.  Uh-oh… What have I agreed to??
  • I sweat in the winter.  This is going to be ridiculous.
Sending my love from the confines of packing a suitcase at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment