Friday, July 20, 2012

Club India


 Club India. The name of the club was actually 10 Downing Street, or 10 D as the local 20-somethings call it.  And it was something straight out of 1920 – complete with smoke and bar hands wearing bowties and a feeling that drinking alcohol is just a little rebellious and risqué.  And there was karaoke.  Some pretty awesome karaoke – all the classics, the 90s, and the occasional #1 hits of today – all under a chandelier and stained glass.

Every once in a while, the DJ announced that it was time for a hustle – which is similar to the electric slide, but danced to almost any song imaginable, including a reggae gem called “Give me hope, Jo’hanna.”  The hustle, I swear, turns the ‘club’ into something straight out of a Bollywood movie.  Everyone immediately piles onto the dance floor and dances in a choreographed style – all dancing well, I might add.  (I am terrible at group dance, btw. My lack of rhythm is prominent when everyone is doing the same moves.)

 








The night was fun and later than expected. It was nice to see the young (‘the new’) India.  It was very different, yet very hip also.  There’s a definite sense of style to it all.  I’m not sure that that is a clear description of the experience.  Some things can’t be explained.  You should come.  See it for yourself (with me!).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment