Monday, July 21, 2014

Wilds of Wisconsin (I'm in love)

I am pretty sure I fell in love with the Chicago upon first sight--about a year ago actually. And I love it, I really do. But with all relationships, there are times when you just need to take a step away.

I needed a little breathing room. And as it turned out, Hannah and Bogey were up for a getaway too, so we traded the bustling urban life for a wilderness adventure this weekend. 

I've always wanted to go to Wisconsin. I don't know why, except that every person I've ever met from the northern state has been incredibly nice and fascinating. I honestly didn't know what to expect at the end of the four hour drive to Door County, but what I found was a perfectly surprising, quirky escape.

B&B featuring dogs barking on the roof as a greeting

Country stores featuring delicious WI products and bizarre signage

A completely unexpected find on the shores of Lake Michigan: Cave Point

The shortest lighthouse I've ever seen

Shores of shells

Gorgeous hiking trails with Bogey the Explorer
In the quiet of the country, primitive lake shores, welcoming farms, and untamed landscape accompanied by perfect 70 degree weather was made for peace-finding. So we explored the wilds of Wisconsin thusly.

Yoga by things that inspired the poses: 

Boat pose by the lake

Plank pose by the docks

Tree pose in the woods

King of the Dance pose among the ferns - I am imagining fairies dancing among the plants, a la Fern Gully


And there was wine. Pure perfection. I was right about Wisconsin.




Yes, Wisconsin is a wonderful place. A perfect retreat from Chicago. But on our return, I did realize how much I do love the neighborhoods and vitality and unpredictability of the city. I do love it.



PS I think I could start a travel blog called "Bogey's Ears Flying Places". If Maddie on Things could take off as much as it has, Bogey has a shot for sure. Check these out:




 




No comments:

Post a Comment